December 30 - January 6
Safe Nights of Calvert County is an interfaith consortium of churches that open their hearts and church homes to the homeless for one week each winter. This program brings together citizens from all faiths and civic organizations that are dedicated to a compassionate response to the plight of the homeless in Calvert County. Grace Brethren Church of Calvert County has been involved in Safe Nights since 2008.
This year we will be hosting Safe Nights in the Family Life Center from Sunday, December 30th to Sunday, January 6th. Shelters are open 7 days a week from 7:00 pm – 7:00 am. Shelters provide a cot and three nutritious meals (breakfast, dinner and a bag lunch) in a safe environment. Safe Nights is run entirely by volunteers, but guidelines are in place to ensure that every hosting church runs essentially the same program. CLICK HERE TO VOLUNTEER.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
MONITORS (Males and Females needed to cover a shift)
- responsible for the safe management of the shelter
- duties include signing in guests, generally monitoring the behavior of the guests and enjoying their company.
- There are 4 monitor shifts you can choose from
- Day Time Monitor (needed for Tuesday, January 1st only)
- evening monitor shift is from 6:30 pm – 10:00 pm (minimum 2 people per shift)
- Overnight monitor shift from 6:30 pm – Midnight (minimum of 2 people, 1 male and 1 female per shift)
- Wee Hours Monitor shift from 12:01 am – 7:30 am (minimum of 2 people, 1 male and 1 female per shift)
MEALS/Kitchen Crews (teams sign up to prepare and deliver a complete meal)
- Looking for a DINNER CREW LEADER – who can lead each evening by coordinating the evening meal menu and communicates with the dinner crew to prepare the meal, serve the guests, and clean-up the kitchen after the meal.
- Breakfast Crew – 5:00 am – 8:00 am (minimum of 3 people each morning)
- Lunch Crew – Prepare and pack To-Go Bagged lunches. Can be completed at different times throughout the day *GREAT project for small children to help with.
- Dinner Crew – 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm (minimum of 4-5 people each night) – will work directly with Dinner Crew Leader for directions.
- this is a great way for a family or a team to serve together
- clean-up includes putting away the food and wiping down the tables and kitchen prep areas.
- Daily cleaning of restroom and guest areas.
- Cleaning can be done in groups of 2-3 each day
- Work can be done anytime between 9:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Looking for a CLEANING TEAM LEADER – to help coordinate cleaning team volunteers for the week.
- FINAL CLEAN-UP CREW – needed on Sunday, January 6th from 7:00 am – Noon for the final thorough cleanup of shelter area (much help needed!)
- Cleaning linens – washing, drying, folding all linens after shelter is concluded. *There will be a large amount of laundry
- Looking for a LAUNDRY TEAM LEADER to help coordinate the laundry efforts.
SET-UP / TEAR DOWN
- Receive cots, supplies and luggage on Sunday, December 30th for set-up at GBC. And at the end of the week, on Sunday, January 6th, tear down the shelter and coordinate with the next Safe Nights church for a time to have GBC deliver the materials.
Karl and Jackie Amick are our GBC Coordinators, so if you have any questions please call 443-624-9626 or email email@example.com.
Days and times for the week of Dec. 30 – Jan. 6 are found in the registration form. When you sign-up you can choose what days/times are best for you.